NEFCLASS for JAVA
NEFCLASS-J is our neuro-fuzzy classification tool written in JAVA. Like its predecessors NEFCLASS-PC and
NEFCLASS-X it is based on the NEFCLASS model.
The release is from 1999 and contains two files. The first file (nefclassj.zip) contains a JAVA archive with all classes needed
to run the tool. It also includes first parts of the online help files. The second file (nefclassj-doc.pdf or nefclassj-psdoc.zip)
contains the master thesis of Ulrike Nauck. The thesis is written in English and is provided as a postscript file.
It contains the manual of NEFCLASS-J and a description of the model and the learning algorithms. By downloading and using NEFCLASS-J you agree to the following license.
- This Licence applies to the software NEFCLASS-J. Each licensee is addressed as "you"
- Detlef and Ulrike Nauck herby disclaim all copyright interests in the program NEFCLASS-J
and its documentation.
- NEFCLASS-J is not free software, but it may be used free of charge, for educational, scientific and personal
purposes. You can redistribute it under the terms of this licence.
- You may not use NEFCLASS-J for commercial purposes. You may not sell NEFCLASS-J, and you may not sell or commercially
exploit the results you obtained by using NEFCLASS-J.
- You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of NEFCLASS-J as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you
conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty;
keep intact all the notices that refer to this Licence and to the absence of any warranty; and give any other recipients
of the Program a copy of this licence along with the Program.
- You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy.
- NO WARRANTY
BECAUSE NEFCLASS-J IS LICENCED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR NEFCLASS-J, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED
BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES PROVIDE NEFCLASS-J
"AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND
PERFORMANCE OF NEFCLASS-J IS WITH YOU. SHOULD NEFCLASS-J PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY
SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION.
IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW OR AGREED TO IN WRITING WILL ANY COPYRIGHT HOLDER, OR ANY OTHER
PARTY WHO MAY REDISTRIBUTE NEFCLASS-J AS PERMITTED ABOVE, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR DAMAGES, INCLUDING ANY GENERAL,
SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE NEFCLASS-J (INCLUDING BUT
NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF DATA OR DATA BEING RENDERED INACCURATE OR LOSSES SUSTAINED BY YOU OR THIRD PARTIES OR A
FAILURE OF NEFCLASS-J TO OPERATE WITH ANY OTHER PROGRAMS), EVEN IF SUCH HOLDER OR OTHER PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED
OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
By downloading NEFCLASS-J you agree to the terms of the above licence.
To use NEFCLASS-J you need to install JAVA on your system. For information about JAVA and how to obtain and
install the necessary JAVA software refer to SUN's JAVA site at http://java.sun.com
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is the source code for NEFCLASS-J available?
No, unfortunately it is not. Please don't ask for it.
- Will the work on NEFCLASS-J continue?
There are no plans at the moment.
May 06, 1999
- Data files without an INRANGES section are not processed properly. Due to an error in thread communication
the ranges of the variables are not communictated to the classifier. This error causes the classifier to work with
0 as lower and upper bound for each variable. NEFCLASS-J will just create one rule or no rule at all.
Workaround: Load a data file and look at the statistics of the training data. Copy the maximum and miminum
values given in the table and create an INRANGES section in your data file.
March 25, 1999
- NEFCLASS-J does not run under JDK (or JRE) versions 1.1.6 or 1.1.7. We recommend to use JDK (or JRE) 1.1.4.
We did not encounter any problems with this JAVA version on Windows systems. JDK 1.2 or later should also work.
But the graphics become very slow under JDK 1.2 (this seems to be a general problem under JAVA 2).
- NEFCLASS-J has problems on UNIX systems. It may be possible to use it with JDK 1.2 or later.